Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Perfect Cross-Country Road Trip (Part 1)

Who doesn't love road trips?! Fifteen-hour car rides through miles of corn fields, forests, and deserts, eating Twinkies and watching Monsters Inc. way too many times are some of my best childhood memories. Although commercial airlines are nice to get you from point A to point B quickly, I think there is a lot to say for driving; driving exposes you to parts of the country you would likely not ever see if not for road trips and is kind of like a vacation on the way to a vacation! One thing that has been on my bucket list for years is taking a huge road trip across the US, so this post I will be highlighting some of the places I would love to stop by.

1) San Diego
In my dream road trip, I would start off in the lovely San Diego. San Diego is pretty dang close to being the southwestern-most (is that a word?) point in the US, so it gives you the opportunity to maximize the amount of the country you can see. From San Diego, I would rent a convertible (preferably blue, of course) and drive up the California coast. I actually did this for about 100 miles with my mom in 7th grade, and it was gorgeous, so I definitely want to try again to get as much of the coast in as possible.
How fricking gorgeous does that drive look?
Image Courtesy of: Federal Highway Administration
1.5) San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo is one of the cutest towns I have ever been to, so on my trip up the coast, I would be sure to make a stop here and maybe stay in a B&B for a night or two.

2) San Francisco
As I have mentioned in earlier posts, I LOVE San Francisco. This wonderful city would be the next stop in my dream road trip. I mean, who's gonna drive all the way up the California coast and miss out on San Francisco?! I would be sure to stock up on peace, tea, and killer Asian food for the rest of my road trip here, too.

3) Yosemite
I have vague memories of visiting Yosemite as a little kid, but I can remember absolutely loving it (probably because we went with my first grade boyfriend)! Yosemite is gorgeous and I would definitely want to spend a while camping here on my road trip. (Fun fact: My parents got married in Yosemite, and that is how I got my name, cuz it's in the Sierras, get it?).
My sister and I road-tripping to Yosemite whilst trying
to pull out my tooth. We were weird children.
4) Portland
Next stop on my dream U.S. road trip would be the lovely little city of Portland, OR. You don't ever want to pass up Portland, with all of its food trucks, bookstores, and bearded guys!

5) Seattle
After Portland, I would head over to Seattle. I haven't been to Seattle for a while, but I would love to visit while taking my road. Maybe I'll take a ferry over to Orcas Island, one day, too.

6) Somewhere Nature-y
For the past few months, I have been dying to go on a hike in Montana. I don't know why; I've never even been to Montana and I kind of hate hiking, but I've had this vision in my head of me hiking somewhere all nature-y in Montana, so maybe I'll hit up Yellowstone or Glacier National Park on my road trip, as well!
Hopefully, this can be me one day... if I don't have an
asthma attack or get eaten by a grizzly bear on the way up there!
Image Courtesy of: All Trips Missoula
So this pretty much covers the West coast portion of my dream road trip, so next post we'll head over to the East coast and finish there!

No comments:

Post a Comment