Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Morocco: Better Than A Taco

Earlier this year, I did a post on Ethiopia, which is one of my top dream vacation spots of all time. I've realized, though, that that was really the only post on Africa I've done on this entire blog! And that ain't right, cuz Africa's pretty cool. So I figured that I owe Africa another post, and since I've already written about a jungle-y sort of country, I though I'd write about a sandy one: Morocco.

Since Morocco is a sandy-ish African country, I think I ought to visit some sand dunes; what trip to a sandy African country is complete without sand dunes? I would love to go all movie cliché and get a camel to ride out there while I watch the sun set, too. That would be cool. Believe it or not, even though the desert is thought to be some sort of barren, lifeless nothingness, there is actually a fair deal of wildlife out there that really isn't found much elsewhere, including but not limited to: ostriches, chameleons, hyenas, gazelles, and jackals (who doesn't love a good jackal, am I right?).
A camel caravan crossing the sand dunes of the Sahara in Morocco.
Image Courtesy of: Guide4Tourist
One place in Morocco that I have heard is absolutely gorgeous is a little mountain town called Chefchaouen. Kind of a weird name, but it's supposed to be pretty cool. First of all, it is situated in the Rif Mountains, which are very foggy and green and cool-looking in all the pictures I have looked at. Secondly, the entire city (well, almost) is blue! How cool is that?!
I've officially found where I'm gonna live as a retired old lady.
Image Courtesy of: Gallivant Girl
Another thing in Morocco that I would love to do is stay in a riad. A riad is basically just a traditional Moroccan home that has been converted to a hotel, kind of like a Moroccan bed and breakfast. Riads are generally cheaper than normal hotels, and any one who knows me really well knows that I love to save money (it's a genetic thing), so this is a major plus. Besides the lower prices, riads allow you to get a better sense of Moroccon architecture than just staying in a Hyatt or something. What's not to love?!
The courtyard of Riad Chouia Chouia in Marrakech.
Image Courtesy of: Hotels and Ryads
Finally, while in Morocco, I would love to visit the city of Fes. Like Chefchaouen, Fes has gorgeous architecture, but gorgeous in a much different way. It's got the more typical Moroccan type of architecture, with the fractals and stuff. I am absolutely obsessed with Moroccan styles, so I would be more than content just walking around and checking out the buildings and tiles and mosques and stuff. Fes is also well-known for its leather tanneries. Usually, I'm not a big leather person, but these look pretty cool.
The beautiful fountain of Fes.
Image Courtesy of: Trip Advisor
Morocco is a fascinating country with a ton of history, beautiful architecture, and life. I would love, love, love one day to visit this amazing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment