Sunday, February 15, 2015

Vietnam: Absolutely Pho-bulous

Hey readers! How are all you guys? Is anyone going anywhere cool for President's Day break? I'm heading to Sausalito, and I'm super excited (and will probably do a post on this later)! Right now, however, I'm sitting in school, dreaming about pho, and I just had the brilliant idea to write this next post about the motherland of pho: Vietnam.

As you can probably tell from my pho fantasies, I LOVE pho. Way too much. So it is without question that I would eat pho like crazy in Vietnam. For those of you who don't know what pho is, shame on you; you need to eat at more sketchy-looking Asian restaurants. Pho is basically these really skinny rice noodles in broth with pretty much whatever you want in it to add flavor. This could be tofu, chicken, bean sprouts, jalapeños, vegetables, whatever!
Just looking at this picture makes me drool!
Image Courtesy of: Food Genius
In addition to eating myself into a pho coma, I also want to ride a motorcycle in Vietnam. Kind of random, but for some reason, every time I think of Vietnam, I think of myself riding a motorcycle in a really bad-ass leather jacket! I'm not sure where this idea came from (I think I maybe saw it in a movie or had a dream about it or something), but I think it would be amazing. You could do a cross-country motorcycle trip, going from town to town and pho place to pho place. The only problem is that the closest I've ever gotten to riding a motorcycle is riding my friend's dirt bike in her backyard... and I ended up crashing into her fence, so I might need to work on my motorcycling skills before I take my motorcycle trip in Vietnam.
This'll be me, only minus all the dead pigs, of course.
Image Courtesy of: Fun Is 2 Cool
Another thing I'd want to do in Vietnam is visit the Cu Chi tunnels in Ho Chi Minh. The Cu Chi tunnels are an über-elaborate system of underground tunnels that were used by the Vietnamese Communist soldiers during the Vietnamese war. Soldiers would use these tunnels to avoid air attacks, transport supplies, and house troops. Looking at pictures of these tunnels, it's amazing they were able to do as much with these tunnels as they did; they're super narrow. Without a doubt, I would want to visit these tunnels and learn more about their important role in Vietnamese history!
Some cute little lady in one of the Cu Chi tunnels.
Image Courtesy of: Viator
One final thing I would die to do in Vietnam is take a boat tour of the Mekong Delta, a bunch of rivers in the southern part of Vietnam. The Mekong Delta is home to a ton of lush green scenery and rare animals, mostly because the region is not super industrialized, so it would be neat to see all of the flora and fauna the rivers have to offer. Another thing I would want to do in the Mekong Delta is visit the floating markets, which are groups local vendors working out of little boats. They sell fruits, flowers, and vegetables, and some of them even serve as a sort of mobile cafe!
Cai Be floating market in the Mekong Delta.
Image Courtesy of: Vietnam Tours Blog

4 comments:

  1. You can take a boat tour around little lake if you want. Can probably steal fruits, flowers, and vegetables from my neighbor Jim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, sounds good. But poor Jim!

      Delete
  2. I strongly agree that pho is one of the best Asian dishes Asia can offer. I think we should both go to Vietnam together and go to every pho place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That would be so much fun! Or we can go one time to this really good pho place in Salt Lake! It's kind of in the hood, but it's really good and really cheap!

      Delete