Friday, October 3, 2014

Mumbai: Gateway of India

Last night, my mom made some really great korma for dinner, and it got me thinking about how much I love Indian food and India in general, so I decided to make the focus of this week’s blog post an Indian city. I chose Mumbai specifically because it is much safer for women to travel to than any other really big Indian cities (*cough cough* Delhi).


Like I mentioned earlier, I love Indian food. I mean, I really love Indian food. I love Indian food so much that I cannot even begin to convey my love for it through the available font sizes. “Why do I love Indian food so much?” you ask. Well, for starters, it’s delicious. Nothing makes my taste buds happier than a hot plate of coconut curry with a side of naan. Secondly, because the majority of India is Hindu, and because many Hindus are vegetarian or do not eat beef products, a lot of Indian food is vegetarian. This makes life a lot easier for me, as a vegetarian.

If I ever go to Mumbai, I really want to get a taste of their mango kulfi (an Indian frozen dessert made with mango), vada pav (fried potato burger with garlic and chiles), and poha jalebi (a type of flattened rice). I don’t think I’d be unwilling to pay a food tour either, considering my deep love for Indian food.
Mango kulfi (mangoes are really popular in India)
Image courtesy of Cakes and More!
I really want to stay in the Taj Mahal Palace (which is actually a hotel) in Mumbai, if I ever go. The Taj Mahal Palace is gorgeous, and it has a awesome location, too. It’s right up on the shore of the Arabian Sea and right next to the Gateway to India. Plus, it reminds me a little of the hotel in The Grand Budapest Hotel. However, some of the rooms at the hotel are almost $1,700 a night, so I need to start saving!

Ooooh, look how pretty! The Taj Mahal Palace is the one
on the left, by the way.
Image Courtesy of: The Leading Hotels of the World
Finally, India, not necessarily Mumbai, but India in general has a really big problem with leprosy. About 54% of all leprosy cases are in India. Leprosy is basically a condition where a bacterial infection eats away at your skin and nerves. It’s treatable, but the problem is that most people with leprosy live in leper colonies, or leprosariums, where they are socially isolated and live in poor conditions. I have a friend who volunteered in a leper colony in India, teaching and helping treat people with leprosy. She loved it, and I think it is definitely something I would be interested in doing in the future, if I ever go to India.
Residents of a leper colony in Mahabubnagar, India. 
Image Courtesy of: Global Hope India

No comments:

Post a Comment